Hey! I’m Audrey McDonald Atkins, and I’m a freelance writer, editor, and writing coach.
I’d love to write for you!
If you’re an editor and would like me to write for your publication or media outlet, you can find samples of my work here.
Publications I have written for include:
- The Washington Post
- It’s a Southern Thing/Red Clay Media/Alabama Media Group
- Mobile Bay Magazine
- Birmingham Magazine
- The Bitter Southerner Folklore Project
Want to expand your creative writing skills? Need a professional writing coach?
Words have power. Did you ever stop to think what you could you accomplish if you could harness that power?
Could you take your business from start-up to Fortune 500? Could you become a published columnist? A subject-matter expert? Could you record your family’s history for generations to come?
Maybe you want to write a better email? A snappy cover letter? Or find a creative outlet for your personal relaxation and enjoyment?
I firmly believe that your creative writing practice can inform and enhance your professional writing practice. So whatever your goal, I’m here to help you reach it. I offer:
- Ongoing writing classes
- One-on-one coaching
- Resume/Cover letter guidance
How can I help you? Let’s talk!
What people are saying:
Having an exceptional support group increases your chances of success. Audrey is my first call when the words matter. She helps guide me to the proper voice for my blogs and presentations. She suggests improvements to the messaging and flow. When motivating my audience to action is critical, Audrey helps me reach those readers through word-craft. I think everyone serious about improving their communication skills should have a coach like Audrey.
– Gary Holcomb, Principal Systems Engineer
Need someone to speak at your next event?
I’d love the opportunity to speak to your group/organization or emcee your next event! Just email me at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Events and organizations at which I have spoken include:
- The 2020 Gumbo Gala (Emcee)
- The Moth
- UAB’s ArtPlay
- UAB’s Alys Stephens Center
- The Homewood Library
- The Birmingham Public Library
- The Chelsea Library
- The Women’s Network
- Trinity Presbyterian School’s 2021 Creative Writing Workshop (featured author)
- The Birmingham Arts Journal
- Public Radio Development and Marketing Conference
- The Society for Technical Communicators
- The Bloganista Mini-Con
And I have made appearances on:
- Birmingham Mountain Radio
- WIAT 42
- WBRC FOX6 News
- Substrate Radio
- Oh Brother Radio
Subject matter includes, but is not limited to:
- Readings from They Call Me Orange Juice and book discussions
- Writing for business
- Creating cover letters and resumes
- Writing creative non-fiction, memoir, or for publication
- Women’s empowerment
- Finding humor in everyday life