Ten years have come and gone since Janet Jackson’s infamous “wardrobe malfunction” during the Super Bowl XXXVIII halftime show. Chances are you don’t remember who won that game. I don’t even remember who played in that game. But I’ll bet you a nickel you remember that jaw-dropping moment, which proves what I’ve suspected all along — when it comes to the Superbowl, the most memorable moments have nothing to do with football.
To mark the anniversary of the slip heard ‘round the world, I have compiled a list of snacks and libations inspired by the last ten Super Bowl halftime shows.
- 2013 – Beyoncé belted out her anthem “Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It).” Give Queen B her props by serving this sweet and spicy Cheese Ring with Strawberry Preserves.
- 2012 – Madonna vogued her way through the middle of Super Bowl XLVI. Strike a pose with one of Ina Garten’s Virgin Marys.
- 2011 – The Black Eyed Peas got the party started at Cowboys Stadium. “I gotta feeling” that Paula Deen’s South Georgia “Caviar” will get the festivities rolling at your house.
- 2010 – Your Super Bowl spread will be just as unforgettable as the opening licks of the Who’s “Baba O’Riley” when you serve this authentic Baba Ghanouj.
- 2009 – Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band turned up the heat in Tampa with “Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out.” Even though it’s not summer, freeze up a batch of Alton Brown’s Vanilla Ice Cream. You’ll need it for No. 6.
- 2008 – The only thing more true blue than Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers’ “American Girl” is a big slice of Apple Pie. Top it with a heaping scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- 2007 – No rain, purple or otherwise, fell on Super Bowl XLI. To celebrate, “let’s go crazy” with Prince and serve up some Blue Cheese & Bacon Purple Potatoes.
- 2006 – The Rolling Stones would have gotten plenty of satisfaction from these Bacon Crackers. This is a snack so good, they’ll make a grown man cry.
- 2005 – Sir Paul McCartney came all the way to Jacksonville, Fla., for Super Bowl XXXIX, but your guests won’t have to “get back” to Liverpool when you serve them Scotch Eggs, a traditional English treat.
- 2004 – Remember what Janet Jackson forgot — pasties. Only yours will be on a plate and not on your…well, nevermind. Anyhow, the only thing shocking about these Beef Pasties will be how good they are!